I decided to expand my existing set of Vallejo paints by purchasing a new set from Army Painter at a great price. When the set arrived, it became obvious I will need to find a new way to organize all my paints. The commercially available racks seemed to be both expensive and taking up too much space, and I have therefore opted to build one myself, using some basic materials sitting around the house for my diorama projects. 2 hours later, I cant be happier from the result. Here are few pictures from the process, and the final product.
Monday, October 17, 2016
It was love at first site the moment I laid my eyes on Bunratty castle during my holiday in Ireland. I was excited as a kid roaming around all the rooms, narrow staircases and corridors that connected with other parts of the castle in a way that seemed impossible. Right then, I knew that a new diorama project was waiting for me the moment I come home. Six months later, the diorama is already taking shape while I continue to work on the many remaining finishing touches. The Diorama is done in 1/72 scale, on a 4ft*6ft (60cm*90cm) board.
It is a glorious time at the castle. The local Bishop is visiting to bless the church that is under construction. He is flanked by strong retinue of men at arms and a knight. The workers at the church are hard at work on erecting the walls, and the castle blacksmith is outfitting the solders for an upcoming sortie in the nearby forrest. Everything happens under the watchful eyes of the castle guards.
Inside the keep, the life of its residents is in full swing, from the dread of the prisoner, the drunk guard who is off duty, to the joy of the dancers at the Earl's banquet. The lady is preparing for a grand entrance, the solders are getting their sins forgiven (just in case), and the kitchen is turning out dishes at full steam. The level of detail and liveliness of these figures is incredible. A shoutout to Valdemar Miniatures, who offer great variety of medieval figures with incredible range of poses.
In total, there are more than 110 figures with about 15 more to go. Many details are yet to be added, and I know I will revisit many of the finishes that are not to my liking. It took significant effort to reconstruct the dimensions of the castle based on the available basic ground plan, with hours of picture and video searches to pull all the pieces together. There are few alteration from the original room order, to allow for a more comprehensive story to be told in the exposed side of the castle. I have also switched the direction of the solar (top center room), so it can too fit in the exposed side of the castle.
I will greatly welcome any comments, feedback or suggestions and will continue to update the progress of my work.